Hodgepoge

I have days when I'm feeling my age, and feeling that lightning might strike at any moment, I frantically write a bunch of things. A few days ago with the weather (I blame the weather) wreaking havoc with my varicosed legs, I sat down and wrote.....

 LIFE

Life, 

        life

              …life, 


hmmmm…….


a struggle to arrive,

a struggle to survive,

a struggle to be what 

others want you to be,

a struggle to succeed,

a struggle to stay alive,

only to,

one day,

get sick, and

die.


There must be a purpose, that

fuels the drive, as, if there’s no purpose

then why do we struggle so hard,

to simply survive.


There must be a purpose,

must be something, 

must be a reason, 

to strive to live a full life.


There has to be something, 


……………….don’t you think?


             …………………


Then having just read the so called news, and by now totally depressed I wrote...


Our world, has a new God that we call “The Buck”, forms of currency that without, one cannot survive. I imagine that Its been around for as long as we’ve fought to survive, but of late instead of hiding in the shadows, It’s come alive. Wars are fought, and supported to create the need for bucks, money to rebuilt that which has been destroyed. Unfortunately, in support of our new God, lives are sacrificed, just as I suppose were also in ancient times, in an attempt to ease the wrath of the gods of that time. And the wheel goes round and round, nothing new, just carnage on a different scale.

Now, that’s not to say that the God, or Gods, of long ago are still not supported, but one cannot help but notice that their numbers are decreasing as The Buck gains prominence. So, we continue to stumble along, confused, not knowing which way to turn. Should we continue to look up  in our attempt to find salvation, support technology to placate our thoughts, or simply bow down and support The Buck?


                 ………………………


I am aged. I know, I’ve mentioned this fact before, but with age I’ve learned that silence is truly golden. It doesn’t pay, get you anywhere, to question the lot, just isolation, pity, and damnation, or so it’s said. So with nowhere to go I’ve taken to stand in the shadows, and watch, as our humanity continues to go marching by with eyes on the sky.


                   ………………………


There’s a book entitled The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy in which the world is about to be destroyed. The dolphins who were actually, I believe aliens, tried to warn humans of our impending doom, but as humans never being able to communicate with them, they vanished, avoiding the upcoming catastrophe. In leaving their “last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backwards-somersault through a hoop whilst whistling the 'Star Spangled Banner', but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish.” I’ve come to believe that the message is quite  apropos for our moment in time.



 


 


Comments

Popular Posts