WE THOUGHT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

 WE THOUGHT

I’m sitting out on our back deck 

sipping my first cup of coffee.




WE THOUGHT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE


It’s early morning, the sun, is just now, 

beginning to peep over the horizon.


Only the birds, and as the crashing in the foliage 

at the back of our fence would suggest, the squirrels, are awake, 

and have started their day with the never ending gathering of food, 

something, almost anything, to eat, enough 

to see them through the day, and into the next night, 

enough to get to the next day, and begin the search once again


I’m thinking about thoughts 

that prevailed through the night, 

and sometimes last into the morning, 

until reality comes home, and everything, 

but the moment is forgotten. 


Last night, between slumber and deep sleep,

I thought about how fleeting life is, and how 

there was a time when I thought that my life 

would make a difference, but now 

I have come to realize that if I did make a difference then, 

what difference. I came, I’m going….


I wonder about my art,

my sketches and drawings, 

is it possible,

they may have made a difference, 

but if they did why has no one said.


Leaving without knowing, 

I wonder,

what difference.


I suppose that we can only hope that

we did make a difference, 

served a purpose, and go peacefully

on the journey intended.

Comments

Popular Posts